In Your Library
What can I request free of charge?
- Any book or other item not at your local library but stocked by Monmouthshire Libraries.
- Books or other items which are already out on loan.
- You can request up to 10 items at a time.
How do I make a request?
- Online – just click on 'Look up and renew books'
- In the library – just ask at the enquiries desk or you can do it yourself via the library catalogue
- On the telephone – just contact your local library.
How do I request books stocked elsewhere in Wales?
- Search Cat Cymru which gives access to the library catalogues of all national, public, academic and health libraries in Wales and allows you to place requests online. Any books stocked in South East Wales can be requested free of charge.
How do I request books stocked outside Wales?
- Just fill in a request slip at any library - to a maximum of 10 at a time.
- If you are unable to visit the library, please send the details by post with a cheque made payable to ‘Monmouthshire County Council’.
- A charge is made for requesting items not in stock. Please click on Charges for details.
We are sorry we are unable to accept phone or online requests for this service.
What happens next?
- Books that are in print will be considered for purchase
- If we do not purchase we will try inter - library loan.
The request charge will be refunded if we are unable to obtain the item and a reason will be given for the failure. Once a request has been sent on Inter-library loan, the charge will be refunded only if we are unable to supply, as charges will already have been incurred
How do I request non-book materials not in stock?
- Requests may be made for music, video and talking books and we may consider them for purchase.
- Information is available on joining RNIB, NLB or Calibre who lend books on tape or in Braille
Can I make suggestions for purchase?
- You are welcome to submit suggestions for purchase but these are not regarded as requests and you will not be notified of the outcome.
- Suggestions will be considered as part of the normal selection procedures. Please give a reason for your suggestion. Use our Enquiry Form or ask in your local library.
To view PDFs on this page you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader